Sunday 30 January 2011

Loneliness

I don't like the feeling of loneliness, simply because it feels like a state of disconnection from myself and my environment. Whether you are sat alone in a coffee shop reading a book, or trailing through crowds of people at a shopping mall, it can catch you unawares. And it's that feeling of surprise that seems to take a hold.


Loneliness

Walking alongside my loneliness
The weeping willow nods in my direction
Its wintry tendrils, wave to a rythm of its own
Observing quietly and gently
The couple embrace sweetly,
unnoticed by the bridge
Their discreet veil of intimacy uncovered
A swan preens himself thoroughly
With an air of vanity
His feathers contrast brightly
Against the greyness of the sky
My body moves mechanically
Brushing, pushing and sweeping
Away at my mood
Trees rustle, water laps, birds caw...
By the time I have walked the full length of the serpentine
My colours are brighter
But my quiet companion is still there
In my wake


Lily Basnet

No comments:

Post a Comment