Thursday 14 April 2011

Meditation

I never used to understand what meditation was all about. Whilst sitting there in an upright posture, I would be thinking how uncomfortable I was, how cold the wall was, how long I had been sitting there (usually not long at all!) and I would get a desperate urge to scratch or move an ankle or a leg. And that's before you even consider how noisy and irritating the thoughts are. Fast forward three or four years and now I am finally beginning to scratch the surface! I'm not a consistent practitioner of meditation and truthfully only do about ten minutes every couple of days, but what I experience now is completely different to when I first began. Thoughts or mind chatter is definitely quieter and I get a pleasant feeling of connectedness. It is inspiring to note the changes after some period of time and I would recommend meditation for de-stressing, calming the mind or balancing the body after a hectic day. But I appreciate that for a beginner, they have to overcome their own personal resistance and limitation, to a discipline that slowly helps the mind, body and spirit to blossom, align and re-connect.


In Meditation

The chatter of the mind slows down;
Body is heavy, but so still,
It seems to know it is required
to give space.
The gap between the noises and the
stillness widens;
One becomes aware of a humming,
Behind the eyes is a good place
to rest.
Thoughts are quieter, whispers;
And the breath,
Invisible.

LB






No comments:

Post a Comment