Saturday 12 March 2011

Eyes

It has been said that 'eyes are the window to the soul', so it is hardly surprising that people refer to eyes as having a spiritual nature. It is interesting to note that in Egypt and Western Occult traditions, the left eye represents a lunar trait (and a symbol of northern direction) and the right eye represents a solar trait (and a symbol of southern direction). As I stare deeply into my cats eyes, I imagine (should Eastern theory be true) that they are potentially the same energy as me but in a different, physical form. And maybe one day after several reincarnations, they will return as another animal or possibly even as a human being. 'Anna Akhmatova' touches on the idea of energy transformation in the following poem:

But Listen, I am Warning You

But listen, I am warning you
I'm living for the very last time.
Not as a swallow, nor a maple,
Not as a reed, nor as a star,
Not as spring water.
Nor as the toll of bells...
Will I return to trouble men
Nor will I vex their dreams again
With my insatiable moans.

Anna Akhmatova


Cats Eyes

I stare into eyes;
Deep, green seas.
Their depths are lost on me,
Incapable of infinity,
Or comprehension of such
expanse.
There is a moment;
One of knowing and childlike
curiosity.
That we are one of the same,
A star born from the same sky.
To look upon Earth,
For an eternity.


Lily Basnet

No comments:

Post a Comment