Saturday 19 February 2011

Holes

Most people have dark spaces, deep inside them that they need to fill with distractions and addictive habits, drinking, smoking, shopping, eating (to name a few). But what would our lives be like without these coping mechanisms and how courageous would we be to seek our deepest, darkest truths?

Faut De Mieux

Travel, trouble, music, art,
A kiss, a frock, a rhyme,-
I never said they feed my heart,
But still they pass my time.

(Dorothy Parker)


Holes

I have big, gaping holes inside me.
Can anyone see them?
Holes that make me feel empty,
hollow and fearful.
I fill them quickly and they soon reappear,
before I have chance to enjoy
the fleeting, feeling of completeness.
They start in my stomache and
migrate to my heart.
Pushing through any barrier they encounter.
Covering the emptiness is a
sisyphean task.
A vigilent duty to my self.
A duty I perform, for fear of
losing myself altogether.


Lily Basnet

2 comments:

  1. But, there is always a Possibility of an Island...

    by Michel Houellebecq

    My life, my life, my very old one
    My first badly healed desire,
    My first crippled love,
    You had to return.

    It was necessary to know
    What is best in our lives,
    When two bodies play at happiness,
    Unite, reborn without end.

    Entered into complete dependency,
    I know the trembling of being,
    The hesitation to disappear,
    Sunlight upon the forest’s edge

    And love, where all is easy,
    Where all is given in the instant;
    There exists in the midst of time
    The possibility of an island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first step for the poet is to return to the origin; that is, to suffering. The modalities of suffering are important; they are not essential. All suffering is good. All suffering is useful. All suffering bears fruit. All suffering is a universe - Michel Houellebecq (Staying Alive)

    ReplyDelete